Trust and Safety Wrangler
Our goal at Automattic is to democratize publishing. A key part of this requires providing safe and trusted publishing platforms for our passionate and engaged communities. To help with these efforts, we’re looking for an experienced Trust & Safety Wrangler—preferably in the UK or Western portions of US/Canada—to join our Tumblr team. You’ll be at the cross-section of some of the web’s most relevant and impactful issues. Your work will contribute to improvements in everything from our user experience to how we create a welcoming, creative community on the web.
Your primary focus will be content review as well as a number of related tasks which include processing reports of mature or otherwise violative content, child safety issues, intellectual property disputes, and law enforcement requests. Your on-the-ground experience in these areas will contribute to policy decisions, improving internal processes, examining trends, communicating with outside partners, and working with multiple teams across Automattic.
We’re looking for someone who has: Experience in content moderation, policy development, and crisis management.
* Experience working within a larger (20+ person) Trust & Safety team at medium-to-large web platform.
* An interest in—and deep understanding of—current internet policy issues such as freedom of speech, intellectual property, child safety, and government requests.
* An ability to communicate nuanced and complex issues in clear, straightforward terms.
* Comfort with collaboration across a globally distributed, multicultural team.
* Familiarity with Automattic’s suite of products and their associated communities.
* Exceptional interpersonal skills, empathy, and the ability to work effectively across different subject matters (e.g. policy, law, and technology).
* Great judgment. Better yet, really great judgment.
* Fluent and eloquent written English is required. And if you’re fluent in additional languages, notably Arabic, Korean, Brazilian Portuguese, and/or Spanish, be sure to let us know.
Please note that this role includes exposure to sensitive, graphic, and potentially disturbing content.
HOW TO APPLY
Does this sound exciting? If so, we’d love you to fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress, Tumblr, and Automattic accurately. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
We also ask for you to answer a few questions in the application form.
We are the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Tumblr, Simplenote, Jetpack, Longreads, Day One, PocketCasts, and more. We believe in making the web a better place.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1800 Automatticians in 95 countries speaking 90+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION AT AUTOMATTIC
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.