Head of Operations
Job Overview The Head of Operations will play a pivotal role in UpCounsel’s growth, overseeing and implementing the organization’s existing processes and developing new systems to enable the organization to efficiently keep up with our growth. The Head of Operations must be able to think on their feet and problem-solve constantly at a remarkably high level.
Our unique business model includes multiple revenue streams, marketing approaches, and product offerings driven by small global sales, success, and product teams that are built for high performance and efficiency.
We are a team of 20 that delivers the results of a team twice that size, so we need to ensure that we have a very strong foundation of operational excellence to continue to raise the bar.
This role requires a true jack-of-all-trades in operations, an individual that thrives in executing across a wide-range of disciplines including business operations, finance, revenue operations, system-building, business intelligence, and admin/HR. The Head of Operations must be hyper-organized, a quick learner, an excellent prioritizer, and thorough in their approach. The ideal candidate has experience managing operations within a distributed team, and understands how to create lift across an organization by doing the heavy operational work for team members - no matter their department.
Head of Operations Responsibilities
Business Operations - Function as the key operational leader in the organization* Work across company to connect to dots between teams and departments, ensuring targets are met and projects are completed
* Function as the end-all, be-all resource for solving key operational issues across the organization, at any hour of the day
* Simply put, be the most knowledgeable individual in the business when it comes to the minute details that make UpCounsel function
Finance - Grab hold of finance operations and enhance structure* Work hand-in-hand with accounting team to ensure on-time delivery of closed book financials, cash flow reports, & budget vs actuals
* Work across the company to update P&L monthly with projected revenue and expenses
* Run weekly sales reports feeding precise data to exec and sales teams
* Own AR, AP and identify both potential savings and process improvements
* Own the subscription billing process and execute with a level of exceptional precision, ensuring that all subscriptions are paid on-time and users have proper account access
Revenue Operations - Partner with sales team to solidify air-tight processes around billing, account management, and fulfillment* Build and execute key processes related to fulfillment of subscriptions and add-on packages, identifying the additional resources needed
* Develop and oversee system for the fulfillment of the new corporate subscription program
* Facilitate the management and results of the SDR team, ensuring the targets identified by sales are met
* Utilize Salesforce to manage the entirety of this system, growing into the ability to create reports that reflect the status of accounts and revenue generated
Admin & HR - Serve as key administrative stakeholder* Own administrative access to vendor and SAAS accounts, ensuring accounts are current and that access is properly managed across the organization
* Manage compliance documentation and contracts with service providers
* Oversee company calendar and other HR-related processes
* Manage recruitment of new hires, setting applicant flow, and executing screening calls
Process Development - Bring a systematic approach to process management* Take the lead on implementing and/or overseeing our existing operational processes, and developing new ones as our growth requires.
* Oversee UpCounsel’s internal QA system, ensuring that all components of the organization are functioning properly.
* Work with key stakeholders to improve processes and measure the results.
* Build wiki-style documentation for all of the company’s documented processes, and develop a system for updating the wiki.
What We’re Looking For* An operations and finance die-hard with 5+ years of experience - preferably in tech or a SAAS environment - obsessed with getting the job done in a thorough manner.
* A numbers-focused thinker with a strong finance and accounting background, including previous ownership of P&Ls, budgets, and cash flow.
* Experience running and implementing billing systems for a startup, SAAS, or other technology business.
* Strong mastery of Excel and google sheets. Experience with Looker or other Business Intelligence platforms is a plus.
* An operational mindset - someone who sees both the small details and the big picture and can quickly make decisions utilizing this holistic approach.
* A true system-builder that can work across the organization to build the processes and QA systems required for new projects and endeavors.
* Growth-oriented performer who thrives on learning and upleveling.
* Believer in continuous improvement, that can elevate the manner in which the company operates from a process standpoint.
* Budding leader seeking to join and play a key role in leading a highly-effective and motivated team.
* Experience working in a remote team and asynchronous environment are a plus.