Senior Backend Developer (Remote)
Job Title: Senior Backend Developer
Reports to: Backend Lead
Position type: Full time
About The Dyrt
The Dyrt is the #1 ranked camping app on both iOS and Android. With over 1 million user-submitted campgrounds, reviews, and tips — more than anyone else on the Internet — The Dyrt makes it easier to find campgrounds for the 80+ million Americans who camp.
The Dyrt is seeking a talented backend developer with a Ruby background to join our team as we solve exciting new problems in the outdoor space. In this role, you’ll be working to evolve and maintain our API, data processing pipelines, and other backend systems.
This is a full-time, remote position. We’re primarily based in Portland, OR and expect working hours to overlap +/- 3 hours with US Pacific time.
We’re looking for people who:
- Are great communicators — Effective communication is key to how we work. We value patience and empathy in our product planning, support, and day-to-day relations.
- Work well both collaboratively and independently — You’ll be working on a team of 2–3 developers. We come together to pair on tricky problems and architecture, then dive deep on individual tasks.
- Are ready to learn and share knowledge — Everyone comes to our company with their own set of skills and experiences. Cross-training, code review, mentorship, and curiosity all help us build better products.
Are eligible to work in the United States
Work closely with our web and mobile developers on the implementation of new product features
- Collaborate on API design and architecture decisions
- Diagnose and troubleshoot backend issues in production
- Maintain integrations with external services, such as Stripe, Iterable, Mapbox, and our campground partners
Update and maintain existing API functionality
3+ years of backend development experience on production apps
- A strong knowledge of Ruby on Rails
- A solid understanding of object-oriented programming and design
Relational database skills — we use PostgreSQL views, triggers, and functions
Experience with Elasticsearch
- Knowledge of JSON-API
- Familiarity with DevOps tools and cloud infrastructure management