Senior Front-End React Native Engineer
About UsMaharishi Foundation International (MFI) is a US-registered non-profit that supports the development of new technologies and outreach opportunities for the worldwide Transcendental Meditation® (TM®) organisations. Over the past 60 years, more than 10 million people worldwide have learned the TM technique through personal instruction by tens of thousands of certified teachers.
MFI is a growing, fully remote team of around 50 people, located around the globe but mainly in North America and Europe. As an organisation we are committed to leveraging modern technology and progressive management practices to make the TM technique and its related programmes more available to people everywhere.
We favor a healthy and balanced work environment with opportunities for personal development.
Job SummaryWe are looking for a senior front-end engineer with a proven track record of developing React Native mobile applications. As we are a small but growing team, you will be responsible for the maintenance and support of existing app features as well as planning and scoping new feature additions and iterations.
You will be working closely with our team to launch a meditation and lifestyle application. Applicants should have a proven track record working on large scale, consumer-facing products with complex and intuitive UX/UI. Applicants should be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, where each individual has a lot of influence and responsibility to deliver. You will play a vital role in the development and release of this application. There is an existing global community keenly awaiting the launch of this application, so the app will have an immediate, engaged user base.
The AWS backend is built using a serverless approach using AppSync (GraphQL), DynamoDB, Cognito and Lambda. Local development and stack deployment is managed using the Serverless framework, and CI pipelines have been implemented using CircleCI and Bitrise. Experience with any of these is a big plus.
About YouYou are passionate about creating beautiful, modern, and intuitive user interfaces on mobile devices. You are comfortable with cross platform development (for iOS and Android), and enjoy solving the challenges that come with such a codebase. You understand API architecture, and can take a data model and translate it into reusable and flexible components. You enjoy shipping clean, readable and reusable code. You are comfortable working on a distributed team spread across timezones and cultures. You are excited to use technology to have a positive impact in the world as a whole, and in an intimate way for each individual.
Responsibilities* Take over responsibility for the front-end development and maintenance, and work with our team to continue testing and releasing features
* Ensure the performance, quality, and responsiveness of the application
* Collaborate with the engineering and design teams, contribute to the definition of specifications for new features, and own the development of those features
* Guide the team regarding constraints and best practices in a mobile environment
* Proactively identify and solve bottlenecks; fix bugs and performance issues
* Maintain code quality, organization and automatization
* Ensure testing strategy is followed within the team - for unit and integration tests
Skills and Requirements * Proven experience in mobile app development
* Strong experience with React and React Native
* Experience with Typescript, Node.js, GraphQL and REST
* Proficient with code versioning tools (Git)
* Basic understanding of using CI to deploy apps (we use Bitrise)
* Attention to detail to implement and bring designs to life using animations (we use Animated and Reanimated in some places)
* Understanding of React Native limitations in native mobile environments
* Understanding of code signing for iOS and Android (we use Fastlane)
* Good understanding of best practices for mobile apps, like Material Design and Human Interface Guidelines
* 5+ years of testing and deploying code in a production environment
* Fluency in English (written and verbal)
Bonus points if you have * A proven track record of working within an AWS application environment
* Experience integrating 3rd party services (Firebase, Mixpanel, Sentry)
* Understanding of Push Notifications
* Integrations tests (detox)
* Have at least one app deployed to the App Store or Google Play store
* Experience with offline storage, threading, and performance tuning
* Understanding of Apple’s design principles and interface guidelines
* Experience with performance and memory tuning with standard tools
* Knack for benchmarking and optimization
* Some experience developing native modules
* An understanding of best practice DevOps process, and some experience writing CI pipelines and deployment scripts
* Experience with CRM integration and lead/customer nurturing
* Experience with the Transcendental Meditation® organization, meditation, or some form of healthy living
If you are passionate about this work but do not have all of the skills listed we are still interested in hearing from you!
Pay and benefitsOur pay levels are set according to a formula that combines above-median market rate data for the role (we pay 55th percentile of New York market rate for this role, based on Payscale data) adjusted for your local cost of living based on Numbeo data. We take the issue of equitable pay very seriously, and we apply our pay formula to all workers who work 80% or more of full time hours with us.
Diversity and inclusionWe place real importance on diversity and we strive to ensure all of our team feel included and can bring their whole selves to work. We also know that this work is never ‘done’ or complete.