Lead Software Engineer
We're hiring a Senior Software Engineer because we need your expertise and experience to help us accomplish our mission as a company- Help our client's grow their revenue by $100 million dollars
See, we believe that humans are built to make things. And one of the best ways to get more people making more things, is to help them sell the products and services they invent. We know how to do that over and over again.
And...this is where YOU come in.
We've maxed out what our small Engineering team (you and 2 others) can do. We need your help to level up our tools, platform and team. You will not just be slotted in somewhere. You are our Lead Engineer. You will create cool stuff that solves real problems for entrepreneurs and own the product end to end. You will help us set the culture and direction of our team from here on out. We need someone to work collaboratively with the team, the Founder, and other divisions so we can do better work than we've ever done before.
We're a different kind of company. We are a different kind of software development team.
First, you'll ship. Our #1 KPI's involve shipping. No endless rounds of review. No abandoned projects 80% of the way through.
**What you build will be used by real people. How?
No made up features. We think from first principles and solve problems. We don't invent random stuff and don't have "pet features". No one comes down from on high with "the next great idea" that no one actually wants to use (or build).
Everything you build will solve a real problem for ourselves and/or our users.
Next, we are anti-code monkeys.
We know it's imperative that you understand how and why people use what we build. You aren't handed a spec and sent off to build. You'll be involved from the beginning, shaping a project and uncovering the real problem we're trying to solve. Then, you will work forward as a team to invent the best, possible way on Earth to solve that problem.
Lastly, we avoid red tape, micro-management and bureaucracy.
Think a new design pattern will be really effective? Discovered a new library that can help us move faster? Want to adopt a new process or best practice? Let's do it! You'll help us constantly improve through quick experiments and no dogma.
What this means day-to-day:
We use asynchronous communication by default. We always have a record of what we want to do and why and give ourselves the space to work deeply.
What this means in the medium/long term:
Work directly with me, Jeanette, Director of Product, to lead and shape our engineering team and products. Make what's working- work better and fix what's not (or has stopped) working in our culture and processes.
Truly, doing your best work by mainly getting out of your way, removing roadblocks, and letting you be awesome!
In summary, your core areas of focus for this role will be:
Solution Design - Identify, improve, solve problems our team and clients are facing with our tools and platforms. Solve real world problems
What will you learn in this role?
If you come from a large enterprise, you may be accustomed to long roadmaps and even longer meetings. You may be used to waiting for weeks to months to get approval to try something new. You may feel like a small cog in a very large machine. We're pretty much the opposite. You will learn to work quickly on small timelines. Instead of "We'll add that to the end of our 3 year roadmap." We think "How can we solve this in the next few weeks?" and "Can we simplify and ship quicker?"
If you come from a more of a startup background, you'll feel right at home. You will wear many hats and sometimes be called to help in areas that may not be explicitly in your core areas. You will also learn that adding a little discipline and structure to processes can actually increase productivity and enable more alignment.
You will learn:
- How to avoid the knee-jerk "Ok, I can build that" response and instead dig a little deeper to get to the true root problem to be solved.
- How to collaborate on software that the entire team owns. We are all responsible for everything.
- How just the right amount of upfront planning creates a controlled, yet fast, environment where we can ship more rapidly than others expect.
Who will you work with?
You will work directly with me, Jeanette, the Director of Product and Bryan, our Founder. We also have a designer and front-end engineer. They will be on our weekly calls and you'll work closely with each of them.
You'll also interact with all of our other core team members on a regular basis during weekly company calls and when we build internal tools for others within the company.
Where will you work?
Anywhere you want. We have been doing 'remote' for years. Our entire team is 100% remote and are scattered around North America, Canada and even the UK. That means you have the flexibility to work from home or a co-working location, or take the family to Peru for the summer and work from your terrace overlooking the Andes Mountains.
We don't micromanage you. Rather, we expect you to be responsible for yourself. Show up for meetings on-time and communicate proactively. Working hours are generally flexible and the work you do is more important than the number of hours you work (in fact we actively discourage long hours and working on the weekends).
What exactly does Growth Tools do and why?
Growth Tools provides the tools and coaching to help online businesses double their revenue in one year. Our tools consist of 10 SaaS products that we give away for free. Our flagship program is Growth University - a proprietary Marketing System with 1:1 coaching.
We believe that the world is a better place when people create and those creations are shared.
Example: We looooove Allbird shoes.
Guess how Allbirds came to exist? A regular guy, Tim Brown, had an idea for shoes. And he had enough gumption and know-how to go out and actually make them. Now, Allbirds is one of the most successful upstart shoe brands from the past 5 years.
The world is a better place when every Tim out there turns their ideas into real-life products.
That's why our goal is to generate $100 million in revenue for our clients. That is our measurement that these creations are being shared and real value is being generated as a result.
Do you want to be on the front lines and directly involved with growing some of the coolest and most innovative companies in the world and shaping one of the best engineering teams in the world?
If you are interested in solving real world, challenging problems with software and building amazing and innovative products with us, I can't wait to talk to you!
P.S. Check out the job scorecard for this role to get a more detailed look at what you'll be doing. Listen to this podcast episode for some insight into our hiring process and how to get hired. And check out our core values to see how we think and act as a company.
- 5+ years experience with development and implementation of real-world web applications, or equivalent
- Successful Product Leadership experience, end to end
- Experience with server-side languages: Golang (huge plus), Ruby, Python
- Working knowledge of JS/React and/or other front-end frameworks/languages
- Use git branches and pull requests for work to be reviewed before deployment
- Engage in product discussions to ensure a reasonable and meaningful solution
- Attend weekly calls with the engineering division to go over priorities, current projects, and roadblocks
- Organized and goal oriented - Set and work toward weekly/quarterly goals
- Self motivated, able to work efficiently & effectively remotely
- Passionate about SW Engineering - always going above and beyond, out of genuine care and pride in your work
- Willingness to take ownership - constantly improving the codebase even in parts that you are not familiar with
- Experience with microservices architecture and Kubernetes is a bonus
- Salary: $110,000-$130,000 per year
- Work from anywhere (we're 100% remote)
- Occasional travel, such as quarterly on-site meetings and team retreats
- Health, vision and dental insurance for you and your family
- Unlimited vacation (mandated 1 week/yr)
- Unlimited education allowance
- Unlimited equipment allowance
- $100/mo. reimbursable personal/marriage counseling
- Birthday's off
- Amazing team, unbelievable culture, Stability & Innovation. No joke!