Security Software Engineer
Dimagi is a social enterprise and Benefit Corporation that builds software solutions and provides technology consulting services to improve the quality of essential services for underserved populations. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Dimagi partners alongside governments, leading NGOs, and foundations such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID, and the World Bank to tackle complex health and social inequities. Our open source technology platform, CommCare, is the world’s most widely-used and researched mobile data collection platform for frontline workers. To date, Dimagi’s team of project managers, engineers, and health experts have supported over 2,000 projects in 80 countries.
About the Position:
Dimagi is looking for a Security Software Engineer familiar with software security approaches and standards to join our Global Technology team and contribute to our SaaS division. This position will work remotely with our team based in the US and South Africa.
Our Global Technology team helps to develop and improve our platform’s architecture design for expressing end-to-end system workflows, both at the functional level and the technical level. Since CommCare is used for applications related to many different types of problems, from agricultural extension education to improving delivery outcomes at birth, the software is written as a portable application engine. That means we don’t often build custom code for specific projects.
This position is ideal for a software engineer interested in entering the realm of application and cloud security. This position will also work with our external security firm on security-related compliance issues.
Responsibilities of this role:
Work directly with auditors and security consultants on matters of security posture and system compliance
* Improve the capabilities and efficiencies of our security and compliance control mechanisms by developing new software features and automating processes
* Work on matters of security including application security, security best practices, and security-related features
* Enhance Dimagi’s offerings while using modern best-practices such as version control, continuous integration, automated tests, daily deploy and cloud infrastructure tools
Who You Must Be:
5+ years of software development experience in a high-level language such as Python or Ruby
* Familiar with building backend software for the web
* Familiar with common security approaches at both a cloud appliance and software development practice level
* Able to identify and mitigate common application security vulnerabilities such as the OWASP top 10
* Fluency in written and spoken English
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Authorized to work in Canada
Passionate about “human-centric” security approaches, and identifying usable and practical software solutions to challenges
* Enthusiasm about working with a social enterprise
We aim to make a difference, not just as a company, but as an employer as well. Given our social mission, our budgeted salary scale is more in-line with that of a non-profit organization. However, the benefits we offer are geared towards having a strong impact on our staff’s well being. A few of our key benefits are outlined below:
Access to a Health Spending Account with an employer contribution of $166 CAD per month
* Access to a RRSP employer match of up to 4% of base salary
* 30 days paid time off inclusive of public holidays
* Unlimited sick time and personal emergency leave days
* Access to a flex-time policy that allows employees to work based on a flexible work schedule
* Access to Life, AD&D, and LTD insurance benefits
* Access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) through Magellan Healthcare
Dimagi is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to providing a work environment that is inclusive and free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, national origin, family or parental status, veteran or disability status.